Waunarlwydd RFC | 1st Team 18 - 17 Brecon RFC | 1st Team
Samuel Pridgeon
Try 1
Lee Evans
Conversion 1
Penalty 2
Andrew Michael Rees Spowart
Try 1
Dean Gunter
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Eifion Jones
1 Try
Dafydd Thomas
1 Try

Match Report
30 October 2017 / Team News

Waunarlwydd v Brecon | 28th Oct 2017

Waunarlwydd scored a last gasp try to beat Brecon in a game as hot tempered as a jockey with short man syndrome.

First half began with both teams enjoying possession but both defences were very aggressive. The first try came from a Waunarlwydd scrum, where outside half Nick 'Claus' Jones threw an excellent miss pass to put centre Scott Davies (who is so elusive he has to jump around in the shower just to get wet) on his opponents outside shoulder, he broke into space drew the last man to put Andrew 'Gretchy' Spowart into the corner. Shortly after the try, the first of a few scuffles broke out which resulted in a penalty for Waun which Lee Evans converted excellently from 55m out. The game then became very disjointed, both teams guilty of ill discipline but Waun had the more serious offences and played the first half with only 14 men for two ten minute periods. Brecon poured on the pressure and finally scored on the stroke of half time, with number 8 picking up from a 5m scrum and side steping over the line rewarding Brecons increase in territory. 
Half time Waunarlwydd 10 - 7 Brecon
Second half started very hot tempered and scrappy, big tackles going in from both sides, Waun captain Steffan 'the rottweiler' Jones who is dark, thick set and big headed leading the defensive charge. Brecon stuck to a kick chase game plan, outside half D Gunter chipped over the Waun defense which Was collected by wing R Price to make a break, Waun were guilty at the break down again which gave Brecon the opportunity to tie the game. Waun attempted to run at every opportunity with Gretchy having his best game so far this season, between blue steel style pouts he made strong runs, tackled hard and linked well with other players. Lee Evans then kicked into the breeze to put Waun in front, but Waun were unable to take the restart which has been an issue in the last few games and led to a Brecon scrum. Brecon backs put a simple switch together which tore through the Waun defense, with the centre running in for the try unopposed from 30m out to make it 13 - 17 in Brecons favour. Waun then spent the last 8 minutes camped in Brecons 22 running hard at a stubborn defence. The final play of the game was a Waun scrum 10m from the Brecon line, Jacob Blackmore picked up well from a retreating scrum to set a platform for Guy Jones to make hard yards, the ball then went wide where Gretchy drew and gave the ball to Sam Pridge to score in the corner and win the game.
 Full time Waunarlwydd 18 - 17 Brecon
This was an old school blood and thunder style match which was very entertaining to watch.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos